What is Web Directory Submission: Off-Page SEO Technique
This is an Off-Page SEO optimization technique used to generate quality backlinks.
Generating backlinks is not a tough task but generating quality backlinks adds value to your site ranking.
One of the techniques to generate quality links for your site is Web Directory.
In our mobile devices, we have Phone Directory where we are given the option to save contact details of a person.
Similarly, on the internet, we have Web Directory where we submit our website URL along with its title and short description for promotion.
In the case of the web directory, several categorizations have been done, we need to pick the relevant category before posting our details.
Note: Always check for web directory submission Domain Authority, Page Authority and Page rank to get better link juice.
The reason behind checking their DA and PA score is to make sure that website does not have spam links and hence provide you quality backlinks.
Types of Web Directory:
- Paid or Featured listing: In this type of directory submission we get an immediate listing and good backlinks but with some price. These are paid websites which asked you to pay them a certain amount in order to get a backlink from them
- Regular link with a Reciprocal link: In these type of directory submission websites it takes a fair amount of time (2 – 3 weeks) in order to review your website and giving you a backlink.
If you want link juice from them they asked you to submit their websites link in your directory (kind of link exchange or Reciprocal link).
- Free or Regular linking: These are the free directory submission websites enables you to get backlink by filling their website form and earn link juice. It takes almost 4 – 6 weeks in order to get approval on their web directory submission to generate backlink.
How to do Directory Submission for SEO:
Yes, let’s do it but follow the below steps carefully to get quality backlinks from these websites:
I. Pre-Submission work:
You need following important things handy with you before you begin directory submission task:
- Create a word file and include the following things:
- Your blog URL
- Your blog’s RSS feed URL
II. Your social media links
- Title of your website
- Meta description with different word size i.e. 50, 150, 500, 1000 (different website have different restriction)
- Get a list of directory submission websites and check for following: Should have high DA and PA score and PR of the site
III. Alexa rank
- Past performance of website i.e. any Google penalty, history using Wayback machine etc.
- Once the website is selected, pick the appropriate category
- Dig deeper into a perfect sub-category
- Fill the information asked and click submit
Note: Paid directory submission sites give you backlink within few days or instantly but free directory submission website took around some weeks to months to generate the backlink.
Practical Example of Directory Submission:
The website took as an example: Site Promotion Directory
- Move your cursor to Submit – Link (means we will be submitting our website link in this directory)
- We have three options for directory submission:
- Featured links(Reviewed in 24-48 Hours): $8.96 – 1 Year
- Regular links(Reviewed in about 4-6 Months): free
- Regular links with reciprocal (Reviewed in 2 Weeks): free
Go ahead and pick any options (preferably C option) and move ahead with the other details
- Put the Title of your website
- Put the URL of your website
- Description of your site (not the meta description)
- Meta keywords for which you would like to rank (keywords separated by commas)
- Meta Description related to the keywords
- Other important details along with selecting relevant category
Link URL: Avoid this option as we are moving with a Regular link which takes almost 4 – 6 months to review (If you wish to go ahead with option C i.e. Regular links with reciprocal then go ahead and paste the link URL in your directory)
Fill all the information and hit continue.
The link has been successfully submitted. It took around 4 to 6 months to get the submission reviewed to earn a backlink.
Business Listing Vs. Directory Submission
- Both are Off-Page SEO technique to generate backlinks
- Listing involves verifying your physical address and other important contact details whereas Directory submission does not include any verification of details and its done mainly to increase backlinks
- Registering business give more boost to your search engine ranking as compared with the directory submission
- Approval of Free Directory submission websites take more time as compared with the business listing
This is all about Directory Submission, any doubts feel free to email me!