Should Title & H1 tags be exactly the same, confused?
This is a topic on which there has been a huge debate in the past.
The major concern that was bothering the website owner:
If I set the Title tag of my website similar to what I have as the H1 tag will it affect my website Search Engine Ranking?
In my views, it should not negatively impact your website ranking because we generally give the H1 tag to a line that corresponds to what is written in the article.
For example, in this article, I have given H1 Tag to the heading i.e. “Can H1 Tag be similar to Title Tag of your Website” and have set Title Tag as “Can I set Title tags as H1 Tag”.
Now if we carefully observe what I have basically done I have not make the title and H1 identical but is rather consistent or justify the content of the page.
Let’s take another example to differentiate between identical and consistent text.
H1 Tag: Should Title & H1 tags be exactly the same?
Title Tag: Should Title and H1 Tag be identical?
Now if you again carefully observe, both the statements are consistent, not identical (by identical I mean completely the same).
Note: The main thing is what works best for your site in terms of ranking and traffic.
Let’s conclude the article by considering two important parameters:
- Usability: If the title and headline are same it will help the user to better recognize your website and have a trust on it before going through the article.
If in case title and headline differ too much it may lead to confusion in user mind and he may leave your website without actually reading the content and hence result in increasing Bounce Rate.
- Keyword Prominence: You should use the same keyword in both Title and Headline simply because a single post could not contain 4 – 5 Keywords.
If your page or post contains 4 – 5 keywords and content is less it simply means you are following Black Hat SEO technique and it will cause serious damage to your website rank in long term.
Some useful ways to set a perfect Title and H1 Tag for your website post:
- Use websites like seopressor.com, title-generator.com to generate a healthy title for your post
- Use the same keywords for both Title Tag and H1 Tag (You can use Synonyms)
- Do not over-optimize your website content by making the title, heading, description all similar
- Do not make Title and H1 tags completely different otherwise it will lead to higher bounce rate
So, this is it thanks for reading, comments are always welcome!